19 May 2019 - 20 May 2019
2 guests - 1 room
one of the biggest Macedonian towns, Prilep doesn't have much to present to a tourist, except a monument to Alexandr the Great (every Macedonian town has his monument), falling Clock-Tower and few other places of interest. Prilep is known of its tobacco. Huge plantations surround the city and in the late summer everybody dries tobacco everywhere. They even dry it literally in the streets. Speaking about tobacco - Marlboro company imports tobacco from Prilep (well, it's what locals say). Tobacco owns the city.
Prilep is known as "The city under Marko's Towers" because of its proximity to the towers of Prince Marko. Prilep was founded on the ruins of the ancient city of Styberra, first a town in Macedon and later incorporated into the Roman Empire. Styberra, though razed by the Goths in 268, remained partly inhabited. The town was first mentioned as Prilep in 1014, as the place where Tsar Samuil allegedly had a heart attack upon seeing thousands of his soldiers had been blinded by the Byzantines after the Battle of Kleidion. Byzantium lost it to the Second Bulgarian Empire, but later retook it. Prilep was acquired in 1334 by Serbian King Dušan and after 1365 the town belonged to King Vukašin, co-ruler of Dušan's son, Tzar Stefan Uroš V. After the death of Vukašin in 1371, Prilep was ruled by his son, Prince Marko. In 1395 it was incorporated into the Ottoman Empire, of which it remained a part of until 1913, when it entered into the Kingdom of Serbia. From 1918 to 1941 Prilep was part of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. On 11th of October 1941 in Prilep, the rebellion of the Macedonian people against the fascist occupation began and from 1944 to 1991 the town belonged to the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, as part of its constituent Socialist Republic of Macedonia. Since 1991 the town has been part of the Republic of Macedonia. Several ancient sites grace Prilep including one at Markovi Kuli, St. Nicola’s church from the 13th century, St. Uspenie church in Bogorodica, St. Preobrazenie church and the Tomb of the Unconquered. Markovi Kuli Fortress – a 30min hike from Varosh village will take you to the ruins of the medieval fortress known as Markovi kuli. The hike is through a strange bare landscape with huge rocks in different shapes. On the beginning is the Stone elephant work of nature. The remains of the fortress look as if they are growing from the huge rocks and there are striking views over Prilep and the surrounding plain. The remains that can be seen are from the 10th to the 14th c. Holy Archangels Monastery – with its church built in the 12th and dormitories on both sides it looks as if the monastery has grown out of the rocks. There are few compositions of frescoes left inside. Ask the nuns to point you to entrance of the crypt below the church (entered from outside). On the columns of the porch of the church look for the second oldest inscription in Cyrillic letters dated 996. Walk around the monastery to admire the scenic landscape and scattered ancient and early byzantine ruins. St. Nikola Church – one of the loveliest churches in Macedonia is this small and slim church built in 1299 in Varosh village. The facades are elaborately and carefully decorated. The frescoes inside are excellent, with very vivid colours and well preserved. Look for the outstanding Mocking of Christ and Juda’s kiss frescoes. In the altar look for the frescoes of an earlier church painted in the 12th century. Old Bazaar – Prilep has small, pleasant and well maintained bazaar with orthogonal streets. Of interest are the Clock tower (the most beautiful one in Macedonia) built in 1858 and Carshi Mosque built in 1475, the only one in Europe with two balconies on its minaret (awaiting restoration). Tobacco is one of Prilep's traditional cash crops and prospers in the Macedonian climate. Many of the world's largest cigarette makers, such as Marlboro, West and Camel use Prilep's tobacco in their cigarettes after it is processed in local factories such as Tutunski kombinat Prilep. A Tobacco Institute is established in the city in order to produce new types of tobacco and it was the first example of applying genetics to agriculture in the Balkans. In Prilep the whitest marble in the world is found. The marble is called "Sivec". The pedestal of the Statue of Liberty is made of Sivec, and the marble has also been used in building the White House and other buildings in Washington, D.C. The Institute of Old Slavonic Culture is located in Prilep. Each year an International Art Colony is held in Prilep which hosts painters and sculptors (working in marble, metal and wood) every year and, periodically, it hosts workshops and symposia for vitrage (glass design), mosaics, photography, graphics and clay, from countries around the world. The collection of sculptures carved in wood was acknowledged as a cultural heritage by the most relevant criticizers and opinion makers. Also the Festival of Professional Theaters of Macedonia, honoring Vojdan Chernodrinski, who was born in village Selci near Struga and Debar.
Po4ituvajneto cozdava novi prijatelctva Makedon4i od cite zemji obedinete ce Obedineto makedoncko dvizejne Prilep